Direct arguments don’t directly influence people

Accurate facts and good reasoning have never influenced anyone when it comes to anything. Direct arguments don’t directly influence people. Sometimes they do, though. But most of the time, they don’t.

An individal or society as a whole might follow accurate facts and good reasoning at times–but all in all, accurate facts and good reasoning are not dominant. They only influence 8% of what you see in the world. Don’t look at the 8% and think it represents most of the other 92%.

Sometimes you see a skinny guy eating three chicken sandwiches for lunch. Does that mean that generally speaking, he eats that much food? No.

Sometimes you see facts and reasoning influencing others. Does that mean that generally speaking, people are influenced by facts and reasoning? No.

You have to practice distinguishing between the 8% and the 92%.

Don’t pay attention to the way people are portrayed in movies, on TV, in biographies, in historical accounts, etc. Those portrayals have a high concentration of fiction.

Do a hundred rounds of practice distinguishing between the 8% and the 92%. Disregard the misleading representations of people that are circulated by the public.

Don’t look down on people while doing the rounds of practice. This isn’t a matter of looking down on people. It’s a matter of looking at them as actual people. It’s not disrespectful to consider people to be 8%/92%. It’s disrespectful to not consider them so.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s